Pages

Monday 3 March 2014

Tuğra


Tuğra

I wanted one more Turkish touch to my interior. After recently coming across the whole concept of Turkish Tuğra (Pronounced Toohrah), I knew that this would be the perfect addition to my humble abode.
A Tuğra is basically a very elaborate drawing used as a signature or as a seal. Each Ottoman Sultan had his own Tuğra designed by the court calligrapher at the beginning of his reign.
Each and every part of a Tuğra has a precise meaning, and if most of the Sultan’s Tuğralar look really similar, they actually hold a very different signification.
I spent some time deciding on which Sultan I wanted to showcase above my couch and finally decided to give a go at Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. He reigned on the Empire from 1520 to 1566 and is remembered has being a fair ruler, an extremely successful man and a true maverick. I read a lot about him and I love what he did as much as I love the look of his Tuğra.
I’ve just commissioned a copy of his Tuğra to a local artist, who happens to be the husband of a shopkeeper who’s been really good to me since I arrived here.
So I do believe that owning such a nice symbol is relevant to my life here and will carry on bringing me luck.

I’ll go and pick the finished product at some point these week and will certainly post about it later.

 


Tuğra

Alors que je voulais ajouter une touche orientale à mon intérieur, je suis tombé sur ce qui s’appelle une Tuğra (Prononcé Tourha).
Pour faire simple, une Tuğra est un dessin extrêmement élaboré utilisé comme signature par les sultans Ottomans. Au début du règne de chaque sultan, le calligraphe de la cour devait créer la Tuğra de laquelle le Sultan signera tous les documents officiels. Chaque partie d’une Tuğra a une signification précise, et si la plupart des Tuğralar semblent très similaires, elles n’en portent pas moins un sens très particulier et unique.
Il m’a fallu du temps pour choisir le Sultan dont la Tuğra agrémentera mes murs, mais après quelques recherches j’ai finalement choisi de faire confiance à Suleyman le Magnifique. Il régna sur l’empire de 1520 à 1566 et est encore aujourd’hui reconnu comme un législateur juste, un homme couvert de succès et un véritable libre-penseur aux multiples talents.
J’ai donc commissionné un artiste local pour réaliser une copie de cette Tuğra. L’artiste en question se trouve être le mari d’une commerçante de mon quartier qui a été très généreuse avec moi dès mon arrivée à Istanbul.
Je pense donc qu’accrocher cette Tuğra au-dessus de mon canapé fera beaucoup de sens et me portera chance.

Je vais récupérer le produit fini dans la semaine et ne manquerai pas de poster une photo sur mon blog